Wednesday, March 13, 2013

FROM MELANIE - 52 Books 52 Weeks

THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME
by Mark Haddon

I just finished reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon.. I liked this one, it was recommended to me by several people. It is told from the point of view of an autistic teenager, mostly about his investigation into the murder of his neighbor's dog. I did, though, find myself frustrated with the narrator several times throughout the book. I work with special needs students, so I am familiar with the fact that some of the aspects of autism can be frustrating to others, and also realize that the author did this on purpose for the sake of authenticity. Also, throughout the book the narrator summarizes many books he has read, thus spoiling the endings for those who haven't read them. I should have taken note of which ones to warn others, but didn't think of it at the time. 

From Melanie

No comments: