Monday, March 04, 2013

52 Books 52 Weeks: More From Melanie


SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK by Matthew Quick 

About a bipolar man recently released from a psychiatric facility, to the care of his parents--this book had a decent story, but I was a little confused by the writing style. It was first person, but incredibly simplistic. As is written by a child, though the narrator was in his 30's. I'm not sure if that was just the authors style, or his way of conveying that the narrator suffered from bipolar disorder. If this is the case, it's a bit offensive. Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric condition, not a learning disability or developmental delay. That aside, it was an easy and relatively enjoyable read. Though this is one of the very few cases in which I liked the movie better.

 THE DEAD AND BURIED by Kim Harrington 

This one's a YA book about a girl who moves into a house haunted by the teen who died there 6 months prior. It is a pretty typical murder mystery with ghosts, but I liked it. The twist I think that made it different and perhaps more enjoyable, is that the girl who died was not at all a likable person. Usually we sympathize with the victim, and want to see their death avenged. She is such a terrible person, that I didn't feel any pity for her. But I enjoyed the story just the same, and appreciated many other characters. 

No comments: