Tuesday, February 12, 2013

52 Books 52 Weeks / Week Ending February 11, 2013







Nemo or Charlotte or The Blizzard of 2013

If you weren't shoveling snow or baking cookies, you might have been doing what I spent a lot of time doing--sitting in front of a hot fire, snuggled in a warm sweater, a cat or dog at your side, reading.  I finished a few books, and started a few others that didn't catch me.  How about you?  What did you read?  Currently I'm immersed in COVER OF SNOW: A Novel by Jenny Milchman.  How could you not be, with that title?





I  read:    







2 comments:

melanie said...

Last night, I finished "Hate List" by Jennifer Brown.

This story is about a high school shooting, and therefore may be too soon to read for some. I did find it incredibly sad, and definitely teared up a few times.
It is told from the point of view of Valerie, who was the girlfriend of the shooter. She had begun the 'Hate list', a notebook of names of all the people who made her life miserable. It was never intended to become a hit list, but that's how her boyfriend Nick ultimately chose to use it. And that day, Valerie was he last person he shot before he turned the gun on himself.
Alternating chapters between the day of the shooting and many months later, Valerie takes the reader on the difficult journey of putting her life back together and coming to terms with what her boyfriend did.

While it is a very sensitive subject right now, I do recommend this book. I found it to be thought-provoking, real and touching.

melanie said...

"Every You, Every Me" by David Levithan-
This is the second I've read by Levithan, and I really enjoyed it. It's about a teenager named Evan who is being harassed and maybe even stalked by someone who blames him for the loss of his best friend, Ariel. The writing style in this one is really unique, with about a third of the text printed in strike through, as is it is a rough draft of his thoughts. Sounds weird I'm sure, but it worked brilliantly. Another one I'd recommend! He's just a talented author, I'm willing to bet all his books are wonderful..