Saturday, June 15, 2013

Book Bucket List


Do you have a book bucket list?  You know, those books that you have decided you just have to read--but usually not today?  Mine range from classics to books I bought, but keep setting aside because there's a library book calling my name, and well, that library book has an expiration date on it and someone else who wants to read it.

"Book Riot" (always interesting, never boring), did a survey and 358 readers responded with 383 unique titles.  Check out the link and find nineteen of the books that came up a lot.  One interesting fact is that fifteen of their nineteen books were on a list they compiled awhile back, of Riot readers’ 50 favorite novels. Hmmm, do you think people list books that they think they should, rather than books that were truly their favorites?


Checking out the Riot's list, there are several that I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read, but have always meant to: Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy,I nfinite Jest  by David Foster, Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen, and Jane Eyre  by Charlotte Bronte. How could I have gotten this far in life and not read at least three of these classic, must reads novels?  I bought a copy of SHADOW OF NIGHT by Deborah Harkness almost a year ago because I loved the first book in the series, and I'm pledging to read it before the end of summer, this summer. I'm going to go out on a limb, and pledge to read at least one of the classics before summer's end.

What books are on your book bucket list? 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Oedel, Reference Librarian said...

Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre are two of my favorites! I don't think you'll be disappointed when you get to them!

My list includes Anna Karenina, One Hundred Years of Solitude, Moby Dick, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Life of Pi.