Monday, July 29, 2013

Brookfield Reader Reviews

THE ART OF HEARING HEARTBEATS by Jan Philipp Sendker

"A panacea to our hectic lives. Slow down and listen. Enjoy what you have. the compelling story made me want to read faster to see what happened next, but, I also wanted to slow down and savormy time with the characters and their story.  When I finished the book, I closed my eyes, listened to the rain and "tried" to hear my heartbeat.  I knew the spell was broken when I started to worry what the dust bunnies under my bed sounded like.  A wonderful, gentle read."  ~ Diane S.  
(5 stars)

THE DINNER by Herman Koch

"Two couples meet for dinner--and so begins a truly disturbing story.  This is a book that one may not "like" but is compelled to finish reading.  What factors in our lives make us the people we turn out to be? How far would we go to protect the ones we hold dear?  How do we sometimes rationalize our actions?  This book will spark some interesting discussions for any book club.  I can guarantee you will want to discuss it with someone when you finish!"  ~ Patricia M.  (4 stars)


 THE TALK FUNNY GIRL 
by Roland Merullo
 
A different, quirky novel of growth, love, and trust.  The setting is rural New Hampshire, and the main character draws you into her story." ~ Marie D.  (5 stars)

"Raised by parents so intentionally isolated that they speak their own hybrid dialect, abused youth Marjorie witnesses her parents' submission to a sadistic cult leader before she is rescued by another abuse survivor who teaches her stone working skills."  Merullo is the author of the popular novel, BREAKFAST WITH BUDDHA.

No comments: