Monday, May 20, 2013

More from MELANIE

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James

I pretty much read this just because I need to finish what I start, and I wanted to be able to give a real criticism of the whole series while being sure that I had given it a fair shot. These books were all pretty bad. Everyone knows what they're about, so I don't need to get into that. The writing wasn't very good, the story causes more eye rolls than I could count and the main character was one of the most annoying I've ever subjected myself to. James is British and was trying to write a book that takes place in Washington state. She used too many words that we don't really use here. This would've been fine if she'd just had it take place in England, but didn't fit for America. I could go on all day listing out what I hated about it, but I'll just leave it at this- if you want to read a cheesy romance novel, pick this one up. If you have an appreciation for literature, you should probably keep searching. This series was written as Twilight fan fiction, and lives up to that. 

Don't Think Twice by Ruth Pennebaker

Set in the 50's or 60's, about a girl living at a home for unwed pregnant teenagers. The writing was pretty simple, but I liked it. It was nice to see how the main character, Anne, grew in the time she was there. I'd recommend more for teenagers than for adults.

~ Reviews from Melanie

No comments: