Monday, May 13, 2013

52 Weeks 52 Books / Week Ending May 13, 2013

WOOL by Hugh Howey

While science fiction isn't my genre of choice, who could resist picking up this book--after reading about the explosive success of WOOL.  Author Hugh Howey self-published the beginning of Wool, actually a short story, and gave away copies.  Eventually it became a book of five novellas, and with word of mouth praise,  sales exploded--over 500,000 copies have been sold.  Howey has sold film rights and a print only deal  to Simon and Schuster, keeping the rights to publish e-books himself, a very lucrative deal. 

Really good sci-fi creates a world so well developed that you're right there with the people of the book.  In the dystopian world of Wool, you feel the rungs and flights of the never ending staircase that runs through the 147 levels of the Silo, where survivors have lived underground for hundreds of years, as the earth's toxic air will kill anyone who steps outside. Wool 1 opens with a "cleaning" and  the reader quickly learns what happens to those residents who question those in authority. The characters are carefully drawn with multi-layered personalities and the setting is chilling. The world of Wool continues on, with its secrets and sinister intrigue, with revelations of those remaining, and hope even in the direst of circumstances.

~ Katherine 

2 comments:

melanie said...

I haven't updated for a while, these are the last few I read:

The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
This one's made up of 20 short stories each about a different person (all high school students), many of whose lives intersect. It was well written, as Levithan usually is, but it did get a bit confusing dealing with so many people and so many relationships. I almost felt the need to draw myself a character web.

Love is the Higher Law- Levithan
This one was pretty good. It was a pretty short, quick read about three young people in NYC and how their lives were affected by 9/11. It starts when the attack happens, and goes through the aftermath for each, in alternating chapters. I recommend it; I already made my mother read it.

Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
I pretty much read this just because I need to finish what I start, and I wanted to be able to give a real criticism of the whole series while being sure that I had given it a fair shot. Thses books were all pretty bad. Everyone knows what they're about, so I don't need to get into that. The writing wasn't very good, the story causes more eye rolls than I could count and the main character was one of the most annoying I've ever subjected myself to. James is British and was trying to write a book that takes place in Washington state. She used too many words that we don't really use here. This would've been fine if she'd just had it take place in England, but didn't fit for America. I could go on all day listing out what I hated about it, but I'll just leave it at this- if you want to read a cheesy romance novel, pick this one up. If you have an appreciation for literature, you should probably keep searching. This series was written as Twilight fan fiction, and lives up to that.

Don't Think Twice by Ruth Pennebaker-
Set in the 50's or 60's, about a girl living at a home for unwed pregnant teenagers. The writing was pretty simple, but I liked it. It was nice to see how the main character, Anne, grew in the time she was there. I'd recommend more for teenagers than for adults.

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Barcia and Margaret Stohl-
LOVED this one! Part 1 of 4, tells the story of Ethan (a regular teenage bot) and Lena, a Caster (similar to a witch) who will become either a Light or Dark Caster on her 16th birthday. Aside from the fantasy aspects, I think the authors tell the story very realistically- about teenage outcasts, small southern towns and teen relationships. Highly recommend, I've already begun the 2nd in the series!

Dirty Little Secrets by Kerry Cohen-
This one's a nonfiction follow-up to Cohen's memoir, Loose Girl (which I loved.) Dirty Little Secrets is part sociology, part self-help, part parenting. Centers on the sex culture in American teenagers, but also explores the issue with adult reflections. The tagline on the cover is "It's not about when girls are having sex- it's about why." That sums it up better than I could hope to. Highly recommend, Cohen is wonderful! An honest, smart and insightful book.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your reviews, Melanie! I mistakenly put another name on your books, but that's been corrected--sorry to have made that mistake. And by the way, felt the same way about the 50 Shades series. I thought S.E.C.R.E.T. by L. Marie Adeline was much better written.