Friday, April 05, 2013

BACK IN THE DAY

"The book goes to the man, not waiting for the man to come to the book."  --Mary Titcom, the first bookmobile lady



Do you remember the libraries of your childhood?  I don't remember visiting the library until I was much older, but we had a bookmobile that parked on the corner of our street in Long Beach, California that was popular with all the neighborhood kids.  You could get a couple books and keep them until the bookmobile came back. How exciting was that! This is where I first fell in love with Carolyn Keene and her Nancy Drew series, and discovered the world that books could take me into.  While Brookfield or surrounding areas may not have a bookmobile, this method of book delivery is still alive in other parts of Connecticut and beyond.


My my, how times have changed! Growing up, did you have a bookmobile?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My bookmobile was my mom. She was a children's librarian in Milford. Any time I ran out of books, I called the library and books magically appeared at home!
----Anita Barney